Saturday, June 14, 2008

Orange Rolls


I was looking through the recipes that I was given by people at one of my wedding showers. I totally forgot that people had given them to me. This one sounded great, and It was sitting on my counter staring at me for a week before I tried it. I'm telling you, they are delicious.

Orange Rolls
(From Aunt Ruth Earnest)

Dough:
3 pk. yeast dissolved in 1/2 c warm water
1 can evaporated milk plus enough water to make 2 cups
1/2 c sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp
salt
6 cups flour

Filling:
1/2 c softened butter or margarine
1/2 c sugar
grated orange zest
1 t OJ concentrate

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
about 2 T OJ concentrate (enough to make it pourable)

Mix in order-cover, let rise about 2 hours. Dough should be sticky. Roll 1/2 of the dough in a WELL floured surface into a rectangle. Spread half the filling on the dough. Fold into thirds, like a letter, cut into strips with a pizza cutter, and twist each strip a couple times. Place on a foil lined, greased baking sheet a couple inches apart. Let rise about 20 minutes (or overnight in the fridge. I did that with the other half since I didn't need them that night), and bake for about 20-25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Glaze immediately.
Not all of this is exactly what the recipe said, but I gave the directions how I made them. With the other half of the dough, I just did them cinnamon roll style, rolling the dough/filling up, and slicing it. You will love the results. You can also, of course make these into cinnamon rolls too.

3 comments:

Cami said...

Man, those look good!

Hannah said...

Yummy, Emily!!! I love this blog...

holly b said...

oooh, I want to make those!