Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Date Raisin Walnut Rice Pudding

Melody were on the phone one morning as usual and somehow we got on the topic of rice pudding. It sounded like a good snack so I made some. My mom makes with with leftover rice, which I LOVE, but since my rice wasn't pre-cooked, I tried another way.

Place 1 1/2 c of rice in a large pot, along with 1 can of evaporated milk and about 3-4 c water. (I'm not completely sure on the water because I was adding it as I went along. I think the milk doesn't really absorb into the rice so you still need the full amount of water to cook the rice. You can add more water as you go if you find the rice is still a little crunchy.) I also whisked in about 1/2 t cinnamon, a pinch of salt, 2 eggs, and about 1 c sugar (or to your taste). Cook over medium-low heat stirring occasionally. The bottom will burn if you are not careful. Cook until thick, bubbly, and the rice if fully cooked and soft. It will take about 30 minutes or more. I wasn't timing, sorry. Add a little more cinnamon if desired and stir about 1 t vanilla and any dried fruits or nuts. I like to top mine with whipped cream if I have some on hand.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I'm cooking this as we speak... i;m not nearly the chef you are, but hopefully this works out because I've had a serious craving for rice pudding today...

Marianne said...

Ok- so it actually took me closer to an hour to make for some reason. I also ended up putting nearly 4 cups of water in, but I could like a different consistency than you. We also added some brown sugar and that made it super good. Thanks for the FHE treat idea!